Gift Aid FAQs

It's a scheme introduced by the government which allows charities to reclaim the tax that supporters have already paid on their donations. For every £1 donated, the taxman gives us an extra 25p, so our income from your donations increases by an extra quarter. We can only claim on donations made within the last four years. Tax unclaimed before this will be lost forever, so please act now.

It's linked to the current basic rate of income tax (which is currently 20 per cent). As a basic rate taxpayer, for every £1.25 you earn, you will pay 25p to the taxman and receive £1 in your pocket. It is this 25p we claim.

If you are a UK taxpayer and have paid enough income or capital gains tax in the UK, in relation to the financial year to cover the amount we’ll reclaim, then yes: please complete a Gift Aid declaration.

Please note, if you become ineligible in the future due to ceasing to pay enough tax to cover the gift aid recovered on all gifts you have made to charities and community amateur sports clubs then we will need to draw your attention to the HMRC guidance regarding the Gift Aid Scheme. 

Please ensure therefore that you inform us if you are no longer an eligible tax payer so we can update our records accordingly.

Below we have posted Gift Aid declaration forms in both Word and PDF formats for you to download. Please complete one of these forms and return it to the address specified at the bottom of the form. If you require assistance or an alternative format, please call 0800 953 0113.

Gift Aid form - Word document

Gift Aid form - PDF

We can still claim the full 25 per cent on your donations, providing you pay at least as much tax as we will be reclaiming in the year in which you made your gifts. As a pensioner, for example, you may still pay tax on a private pension scheme or a savings account, or pay Capital Gains Tax if you sell property or shares.

We can only claim the basic rate back, but this is still extremely valuable. You will also be able to claim additional personal tax relief on your self-assessment form.

Yes please. It would be a huge help if you could return a declaration to us letting us know not to claim. This way, we won't contact you about Gift Aid again in the future, saving us time and money.

I've already completed a declaration for another charity. Do I need to complete one for Guide Dogs?

Yes. You will need to complete a separate form for each charity you want to benefit from Gift Aid.

Nothing at all. It just ensures that, if you donate to us, we can claim money back from HM Revenue and Customs.

Until you tell us to stop. At the moment, and as long as you remain eligible, your declaration lets us reclaim past (up to four years), present and future donations.

If you would like to find out more, or if you would prefer to make your Gift Aid declaration over the phone, please contact us on 0800 953 0113 and we will do our very best to help.

Please contact us either by letter to The Guide Dogs for the Blind Association, Hillfields, Burghfield Common, Reading, Berkshire RG7 3YG, or by email to and tell us that you no longer wish us to claim the tax on your gift.

If you have received a benefit by participating, although anybody can sponsor you, Guide Dogs may not be able to claim Gift Aid from all your sponsors, including family members ('Connected Persons'). Please check with us for further details.

Yes, but only if you are donating your own money and not anyone else’s (this includes family members), and not on behalf of a company, or as the result of a collection. Any voluntary donations made at an event are eligible for gift aid so long as you obtain a valid gift aid declaration from all donors. Your donations cannot be from the proceeds of a sale (for example a bake sale, auction, or a sweepstake), and you should not be receiving anything for making this donation (for example a ticket to an event or a raffle), as gift aid cannot be applied where a tangible benefit is received by the donor as a result of their donation.

Yes. You will be increasing the value of your donation, enabling us to increase the mobility and independence of even more blind and partially-sighted people in the UK.
If you would prefer not to donate online, but would still like to make a donation, you can do so in the following ways:

By cheque made payable to 'Guide Dogs'. Please put your name and address on the back of the cheque so that we can send you a thank you letter. Please send by post to:

Guide Dogs
Burghfield Common

By credit or debit card over the phone by calling us on 0800 953 0113 - we're here between 9 to 5 Monday to Friday. You can also set up a regular gift to Guide Dogs on this number.

Give £5 by texting 'Dogs05 £5' to 70070. 100 percent of every text donation goes to Guide Dogs and all text messages are free on all networks. By texting us you give us permission to call you.

If you have any queries about making a donation, please email or call us on 0800 953 0113.

Learn more about

Fundraising and gift aid