People with sight loss are using technology every day, it's opening up the world for them and enabling them to make many more choices about where they go and what they do.
At Guide Dogs, we work in collaboration with others to influence the design of technologies, ensuring they meet your needs.
Opening up the world with technology
Microsoft Soundscape is an app that empowers you to become aware of your surroundings and help you with your mobility needs.
iOS accessibility features
Take a look at our series of accessible videos to help explain many of the useful accessible features on your iPhone.
Coming in 2020
Guide Dogs' staff across the UK are undergoing enhanced technology and digital inclusion training so that we can advise you on what tech solutions will work best for you. A network of technology ambassador volunteers will also be introduced in all regions to further support four key areas:
- Smartphone apps for rail travel, route planning and orientation
- Devices such as smart canes/aids, smart glasses and haptic feedback wearables
- Independent living skills
- Smartphone apps for talking cameras, audio descriptions of the world around you and putting you in touch with sighted guides
- Smart home technology
- Amazon speakers, smart lighting and smart plugs
- Digital inclusion
- Help setting up online services such as shopping, streaming music